Fifth Voyage


Not even all that I had gone through could make me contented with a quiet life. I soon tired of its pleasures, and longed for change and adventure. Therefore I set out once more, but this time in a ship of my own, which I built at the nearest seaport. I wished to be able to call at whatever port I chose, taking my own time. However, as I did not intend carrying enough goods for a full cargo, I invited several merchants of different nations to join me. We set sail with the first favourable wind, and after a long voyage on the open seas we landed upon an unknown island which proved to be uninhabited. We decided, however, to explore it, but had not gone far when we found a roc’s egg, as large as the one I had seen before and evidently very nearly hatched, for the beak of the young bird had already pierced the shell. In spite of all I could say to persuade them not to, the merchants who were with me fell upon it with their hatchets, breaking the shell, and killing the young roc. Then lighting a fire upon the ground they hacked pieces from the bird, and proceeded to roast them while I stood by horrified.

Scarcely had they finished their meal, when the air above us was darkened by two mighty shadows. The captain of my ship, knowing by experience what this meant, cried out to us that the parent birds were coming, and urged us to get on board with all speed. This we did, and the sails were hoisted, but before we had made any way the rocs reached their nest and hovered about it, uttering frightful cries when they discovered the remains of their young one. For a moment we lost sight of them, and were thankful that we had escaped, when they reappeared and soared into the air directly over our vessel. We saw that each held in its claws an immense rock ready to crush us. One bird released its hold and the huge block of stone hurtled through the air, but thanks to the quick thinking of the captain, who turned our ship in another direction, it fell into the sea close beside us. We had hardly time to breathe before the other rock fell with a mighty crash right in the midst of our unfortunate ship, smashing it into a thousand fragments, and crushing, or hurling into the sea, passengers and crew. I myself went down with the rest, but had the good fortune to rise unhurt, and by holding on to a piece of driftwood with one hand and swimming with the other I kept myself afloat and was presently washed up by the tide on to an island. Its shores were steep and rocky, but I scrambled up safely and threw myself down to rest upon the green grass.

When I had recovered I began to look around the spot in which I found myself, and truly it seemed that I had reached a garden of delights. There were trees everywhere, and they were laden with flowers and fruit, while a crystal stream wandered in and out under their shadow. When night came I slept sweetly in a cozy nook, though when I remembered that I was alone in a strange land I sometimes woke up and looked around me in alarm, and then I wished that I had stayed at home at ease. However, the morning sunlight restored my courage, and I once more wandered among the trees, but always with some anxiety as to what I might see next. I had gone some distance into the island when I saw an old man bent and feeble sitting upon the river bank, and at first I took him to be some ship-wrecked seaman like myself. Going up to him I greeted him in a friendly way, but he only nodded his head at me in reply. I then asked what he did there, and he made signs to me that he wished to get across the river to gather some fruit, and seemed to beg me to carry him on my back. Pitying his age and feebleness, I picked him up, and wading across the stream I bent down that he might more easily reach the bank, and told him get down. But instead of allowing himself to stand upon his feet (even now it makes me laugh to think of it!), this creature who had seemed to me so feeble leaped nimbly upon my shoulders, and hooking his legs round my neck gripped me so tightly that I was almost choked, and so overcome with terror that I fell in a faint to the ground. When I recovered my enemy was still in his place, though he had released his hold enough to allow me to breathe, and seeing me awake he kicked me first with one foot and then with the other, until I was forced to get up and stagger about with him under the trees while he gathered and ate the juiciest fruits. This went on all day, and even at night, when I threw myself down half dead with weariness. The terrible old man held on tight to my neck and at dawn kicked me with his heels, until I awoke and resumed my weary march with rage and bitterness in my heart.

It happened one day that I passed a tree under which lay several dry gourds, and picking one up I amused myself with scooping out its contents and pressing into it the juice of several bunches of grapes which hung from every bush. When it was full I left it in the fork of a tree. A few days later, carrying the hateful old man that way, I snatched at my gourd as I passed it and had the satisfaction to drink some excellent wine so good and refreshing that I even forgot my situation, and began to sing and dance.

The old monster was not slow to see the effect which my wine had produced and that I carried him more lightly than usual, so he stretched out his skinny hand and seizing the gourd first tasted its contents cautiously, then drank to the very last drop. The wine was strong and the gourd big, so he also began to sing after a fashion, and soon I had the delight of feeling the iron grip of his legs relax, and with one vigorous effort I threw him to the ground, from which he never moved again. I was so rejoiced to have at last got rid of this horrid old man that I ran leaping and bounding down to the sea shore, where, by the greatest good luck, I met with some seamen who had anchored off the island to enjoy the delicious fruits, and to renew their supply of water.

They heard the story of my escape with amazement, saying, “You fell into the hands of the Old Man of the Sea, and it is a wonder that he did not strangle you as he has everyone else upon whose shoulders he has managed to sit himself. This island is well known as the scene of his evil deeds, and no merchant or sailor who lands upon it cares to go far away from his friends.” After we had talked for a while they took me back with them on board their ship, where the captain received me kindly, and we soon set sail, and after several days reached a large and prosperous looking town where all the houses were built of stone. Here we anchored, and one of the merchants, who had been very friendly to me on the way, took me ashore with him and showed me a lodging set apart for strange merchants. He then provided me with a large sack, and pointed out to me a party of others equipped in the same way.

“Go with them,” said he, “and do as they do, but beware of losing sight of them, for if you stray your life would be in danger.”

With that he supplied me with food and water, and said farewell .I set out with my new companions. I soon learnt that our purpose was to fill our sacks with coconuts, but when after some time I saw the trees and their immense height and the slippery smoothness of their trunks, I did not at all understand how we were to do it. The tops of the palm trees were all alive with monkeys, big and little, which skipped from one to the other with surprising agility, seeming to be curious about us and disturbed at our appearance. I was at first surprised when my companions after collecting stones began to throw them at the lively creatures, which seemed to me quite harmless. But very soon I saw the reason for it and joined them, for the monkeys, annoyed and wishing to pay us back, began to tear the nuts from the trees and hurl them at us with angry gestures, so that after very little work our sacks were filled with the fruit which we could not otherwise have obtained.

As soon as we had as many as we could carry we went back to the town, where my friend bought my share and advised me to continue the same work until I had earned money enough to carry me to my own country. This I did, and before long had a considerable sum of money. Just then I heard that there was a trading ship ready to sail, and leaving my friend I went on board, carrying with me a good store of coconuts. We sailed first to the islands where pepper grows, and then to Comari where the best aloes wood is found. Here I exchanged my nuts for pepper and good aloes wood, and went fishing for pearls with some of the other merchants. My divers were so lucky that very soon I had a large number and those very large and perfect. With all these treasures I came joyfully back to Baghdad, where I sold them for large sums of money, of which I  gave a tenth to the poor, and after that I rested from my labours and comforted myself with all the pleasures that my riches could give me.

Having thus ended his story, Sinbad ordered that one hundred gold coins should be given to Hindbad, and the guests then left but after the next day’s feast he began the account of his sixth voyage as follows.